Sunday, September 18, 2011

9/11 MEMORIAL SERVICE HIGHLANDS N.J.



One week ago today I was dreading the 9/11 Memorial Service that was to be held in our town park.  We were to view two beautiful marble statues and stones with the names of all the deceased carved into 4 stones large half boulders.  This was created by the artist Steven Shaheen and the Memoria Project.  There was also displayed a a twisted steel artifact given to the town by the World Trade Center Museum.

Being reminded of this tragic day and the part our town played in the recovery  was not something I looked forward to.

I went anyway, and it was a beautiful ceremony.  The town really rose to the occasion.

As an artist I am keenly aware of the affect visual reminders have on people.  I needed to create my own tribute painting to resolve this matter in my heart.  Above is my watercolor pictorial of the day.  After 9/11 itself I created an oil on canvas painting that is now displayed in the gallery of the
National September 11th Memorial Museum online  at

http://registry.national911memorial.org/view_artist.php?aid=254

Two Boys Seabright Evening of 9/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel with me on painting journeys. Share your
painting adventures with us.