Thursday, September 15, 2011

WHAT I FOUND IN THE MESS


While cleaning up after hurricane Irene I came upon a soggy plastic bag containing  crocheted doillys.   In the work of rescuing and  washing  I had time to consider them more fully.

Those doillys  were part of the creative legacy passed on to me from my grandmother, Jennifer Citarella.
As I  lay them in the sun to dry, blocking and arranging them I could picture her hands doing the very same thing.  Those hands that spent their evenings crocheting while watching professional wrestling on her 14 inch TV.  I remember she created table clothes and bedspreads and many delicate and intricate things of beauty.

How did those items get relegated to a plastic bag?

Clearly there was much joy in their creation, all unique and beautifully thought out.  Hand made gifts for her progeny.  Doillys may be out of fashion, but her gift of creativity has been passed on.

Thanks Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel with me on painting journeys. Share your
painting adventures with us.