Tuesday, May 31, 2011

OSMATIC ENERGY

 Before I get into this story I think it is important to tell you I had always thought I wanted (on some subconscious level) to see someone emotionally touched by one of my paintings

One lovely spring day my friend Lauren Savaiko and I went out to a local beach trail  to do a little plein air painting.  We set up on a short path to the beach.  Before us we could see the bay and in the distance Sandy Hook National Park.  We painted a while and gradually Lauren drifted to another place just slightly within hearing distance.  I was lost in the moment until I heard a women walking a dog coming up the trail behind me.
She began shouting angrily at me, "What are you doing in this path? You can't be here!"  She got up closer and said  "Oh My God! you're painting a picture of the trail"  She began to cry,
Through her sobbing I could hear her say,  "I must have that picture!"  I was stunned.  I have rarely seen anyone go through a range of emotions so quickly.  For that split second I thought, could my picture be that potent?

She than sobbed that "Last year, at this very spot", she had laid her beloved pet to rest.  We spoke awhile and I reassured her the painting was hers.
 Lauren had heard the commotion and came back to check that I was alright.  She thought something awful had transpired.  So much raw emotion in so short a time.

I would love to think that it was my work that had moved her, but I kind of doubt that.  I guess people always have there own reason that something speaks to them. That remains their business.  The artist delivers the item through an almost osmatic energy.

On her way back from the beach she collected the painting and than happily moved on.
I include her a quick photo of the painting referred to in the story above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel with me on painting journeys. Share your
painting adventures with us.